Consignment Process & Currently-Accepting List
Thank you so much for sharing our passion for recycling and keeping it local.
The Very Important Details 🧐 😷
Please don't bring anything that's not on the list, below. Call Karen if you think we forgot to list something. It definitely happens. 😉
- Please scroll through this entire page, for all of the details.
- Book a drop-off time. The reason for this is to avoid too many folks dropping at the same time. :) Don't worry. There are many time slots available! 🤩
- Bring up to 20 like-new items per week. Check the list before each time you drop. We will update as we see what has come in and what is selling best. 🕵️♀️
- Current style, and like-new only, please: no stains or signs of wear.
Items must retail for $20 or more, or we can't make a profit.
- You must be ready to totally let go of these items. We will not be able to give back the items that we don’t think will sell or that we can’t price high enough to make a profit. Clear space in your closet AND your mind. 😊🙆
- To help reduce the risk of spreading the virus, we will look at your items 24 hours after you leave them. 🤗🤭
- Any item that we can't accept will be donated to Ecosmith Recylcers, Inc.
No hangers, please. Items must freshly cleaned. Clothing must be neatly folded into a bag.
- Designer items will need to be authenticated by the staff who has been trained to do this. We call will call you if we are unable to authenticate them.
- Include your name, telephone number and email address on a couple of pieces of scrap paper, and place them into your bag.
- Wear a mask over your mouth and nose, and do not enter if another consignor or customer is right inside the door. Practice 6-foot social distancing. 😷 It's about mutual respect. We are a community. 💞
- Drop your items into a green bucket inside and to the right of the door that leads into the Children's clothing department. If you need or prefer to use the handicap-accessible door, no problem! It's open. :)
- EcoSmith clothing drop-boxes, behind our shop, are a great place for your wearable-but-not-consignable textiles and shoes.
So Many Rules!! Yes. 🙂 We are trying to err on the side of caution.
- Fall colors and fabrics, including denim, flannel and corduroy
- things that we wear in September/October
- cotton sweaters that are lighter-weight (hold on to wool/heavy until September) Note: most acrylic sweaters will get donated, as they are not in demand.
hoodies and sweatshirts (cotton or athletic fabrics)
- shorts for older boys/men that are heavier fabrics (no shorts for children/women)
- jewelry and accessories that are Fall colors and styles
- baby gear and equipment (Please call ahead to be sure we have room.) (We will do our best to look at these items and check for recalls while you are still in the shop.)
- pajamas: like-new, better-quality for baby - size 10
Halloween (full costumes that cost more than $20 retail)
- hiking and cycling gear
- baseball and softball gear
- soccer and lacrosse gear
- pickle ball gear
- gym gear: dumbells, kettlebells, bands, yoga mat (no machines, please)
- in-line skates (check that the wheels are worn on one side,) roller skates, scooters, and skateboards, and the protective pads (Although we highly recommend wearing helmets for these sports, we can't sell them here for liability reasons.)
- Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour shorts, pants, tops and hoodies for the whole family
- Patagonia, Mountain Hardware and other top-quality outdoor brand clothing and shoes
- sneakers, hiking shoes, Hunter boots, Keen shoes and Tevas for whole family: great-condition, clean
- other Fall shoes such as closed-toe, suede, fashion boots, etc
- Pet stuff - like-new, better-quality clothing and gear for all kinds of pets
- We are over-stocked with Lularoe and Vera Bradley, so we are currently not accepting these brands.
- We have noticed that maxi dresses and straight skirts are not selling, so we will not be accepting these items.
- Last year, we were over-run with fashion outerwear vests that did not sell, so this year we will accept only better-outdoor-brand outerwear vests.
- If you have a coat or jacket that is not current style from The North Face, Patagonia, or Mountain Hardware, please call ahead to ask about it.
Items we don’t ever accept:
- any item not on the Currently Accepting list 😉
- adult pajamas or lingerie
- any item than can be purchased, new, for $20 or less
- any item that has been recalled
- inexpensive, discount-store brands
- event-specific or souvenir items (except Disney World/Land w/ no dates)
- anything that is a counterfeit, or that we cannot authenticate
- car seats, bike seats, or bike trailers
- bicycles that have hand brakes or gears
- helmets of any kind
- flotation devices, or inflatable items
- downhill skis or snowboards
- breast pumps
- most umbrella strollers
- equipment/furniture that is older than 4 years
- promotional items with names of places, people, businesses (exception: New England Sports team clothing and gear that is not event-specific)
- motorized bikes/cars
- computers, or electronics
- dvd/vhs/cassette tapes or the players
- stuffed animals, baby mobiles, toys or books
- At the end of the first full month of consignment, remaining unsold items will be reduced in price by 25%.
- At the end of the second month, the price of remaining unsold items will be reduced an additional 25%.
- After the 15th day of the third month, items that remain unsold will be given to local organizations to distribute to those in need.
- We make every effort to maximize the amount of money our consignors will receive. Accordingly, prices may —at our discretion— be reduced more than as described above, if we think that they will not otherwise sell.
- Regarding items found to be unsuitable, after being accepted and processed: Items under $25 will be donated. We will try to call about items we have priced at $25 or more. If you want to take it back, you will have 48 hours to do so.
- The consignor may take 40% of the sale of each item sold, in cash, or 50% of the price of each sale, if he or she chooses to take a store credit. Exception: if an item sells for over $50 consignor earns 60% cash or credit. Credit for any item that sold more than 2 years ago, remains available as a store credit but will not be payable in cash.
- A $1 handling fee goes to M&C for every item sold.
You must be ready to totally let go of the items that you bring to us. Clear space in your closet AND your mind. 😊 (exception: designer items.) Our pricing includes the cost of entering your items into our system, tagging, hanging, displaying and selling them. Helping you find items that did not sell, requires manpower that cancels out any profit.
Estimated M&C Consignment Schedule
Please check back, closer to your drop-off, to confirm. 😌
- Jan/Feb Spring/Summer
- Mar/Apr/May Summer
- Jun Call ahead
- Jul/Aug Fall/school/Halloween
- Sep/Oct Winter/Snow Gear/Holiday
- Nov Winter/snow gear
- Dec Call ahead